Home Community Liverpool Joe Gomez – Opinions?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Hightown hope

While I hesitate to write off any youngster at Liverpool, because we’d all love to see one finally break through, I have to say I can’t really see what the hype is about Gomez. Before anyone shouts me down, I know he’s been out for nearly 2 years, but even before his injury I thought he was being over-hyped then. I went to one game at Anfield, one of the last under Brendan and Gomez was at left back, and he was dreadful.

I really hope I’m wrong, but the little I’ve seen in pre-season hasn’t changed my opinion, and I do worry if the rumours are true that he will start at right back on Saturday, he will be a weak link in a defence that is still shaky at best!

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Editor
      Keymaster

I remember seeing Gomez play left back for Liverpool a couple of years ago (I think it was against Arsenal) and he looked brilliant in the one game I saw. I didn’t realise he’d been injured. I remember at the time thinking this was England’s next left back. Always a shame to see players suffer with injuries early on

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Scouser in exile
        Participant

I haven’t seen enough of him to have a considered opinion, he strikes me as a young player who is promising but still has a lot to learn, I certainly wouldn’t peg him as a regular starter yet but I’ve not seen that much that worries me I guess a lot would depend on who he’s playing against but I’m not writing him off just yet. YNWA RIP the 96

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Careworkerlfc
          Participant

Gomez needs a lengthy run in the side before we can form a really valid opinion of whether He is good enough,The One thing is that He has to force His way in to stake a proper claim whether it be at LB or CB.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Oz Yob
            Participant

Like SIE I haven’t seen enough of him to form a decent opinion. By the sounds of it Klopp rates him though so that’ll do me. I think he’s in the perfect environment to get the most out of him if he has it in his locker. Here’s hoping.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              nutts
              Participant

I think he has the right attitude and Klopp loves players with that. He’s also naturally athletic – another attribute Klopp loves.

He can obviously play a bit and his football education has suffered dramatically and at a crucial stage of his development. I think Klopp is prepared to give him time and I think the use of him at FB is part of that continued education.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Hightown hope

Yeah I hope you’re right, and I stress again I’m not writing him off, but for me he didn’t really take his chance in preseason, looking nervous and shaky in the couple if games I saw, unlike of all people, Alberto Moreno!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  nutts
                  Participant

It must be tough coming back from a serious injury. I guess it takes time to trust your body to do the things you want it to do!

I said at the beginning of the transfer window that I thought Klopp would not force any of his first team squad to leave unless they asked for it. He wants to push for competition for places and see which cream floats to the top. He’ll give all the injured players, especially those like Gomez and Ings, time to prove themselves worthy of a place.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.