Home Community General Football If there was a Super League

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Nike19
    Participant

An Oldish Subject. Maybe all fantasy, but if one was created, I’d much prefer on all honesty, for us to opt out and all the other 5 clubs in the Prem go.

The reason being from my perspective is that although the league in recent years has grown in a more level playing field, bar the Leicester triumph and 2016, realistically as far as the league goes, only 5-6 teams can win it every year.

At some point, it starts to lose it’s appeal. I certainly wouldn’t want to be playing too Man United or Man City every week.

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      maverick1973
      Participant

Neither would I,Nil m8.Dead boring! Much rather watch banjo shave her legs tbh.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Mikus LFC
        Participant

For the moment, clubs are just about straddling the line between community clubs and the global market. There may be some who say that a super league is inevitable and always was inevitable. I’m not sure I’d agree with that. I think sadly that greed has won and that has changed our game for the worse from the costs now involved to the way the players now rule the dressing room. Were fans ever asked or consulted about whether they wanted this? The people that did thrust this upon us knew ultimately that because football is so tribal that fans would still come out and support their teams, so the fans were therefore there to be exploited, which is what they now are. But instead we get caught up in the β€œwe have the best players and managers in the world” arguments and therefore β€œit’s worth it”. But given the constant dismay at the rising costs, the outrageous cheating that now affects our game (that many rightly bemoan on here on a regular basis) and the same 5/6 clubs competing year in year out, at some point a decision needs to be made, ideally by the fans, of which direction we should go in.

I think quotas have been raised by some as a way to return to some kind of community football again. And I very much sympathise with this position, though I concede it would have its drawbacks and is quite stern, perhaps too stern a move. Perhaps a better alternative would be to simply make contracts harder to get out of so that if another club came sniffing, they couldn’t prize them away as so often happens so easily which further widens the gap between the top 6 and everybody else. That in turn might make the top clubs invest more in their own city and community and give those players a chance and opportunity for once. This would therefore push clubs more gently in that community direction as opposed to forcing them with a cruder measure like quotas. To some degree FFP and the new restrictions on the loan system that are coming may also help. It might not suit the top clubs to push this but it is in all our interests that’s it’s done, or else we will completely lose control of the game that we all love and we’ll simply be cogs in a machine that are supporting the rich and powerful, somethings that’s already effectively happening.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          nine nine nine

There would be absolutely no value to winning the PL title if 5 or 6 of the top teams in the PL moved to a Super League and neither would there be any meaningful TV monies either because the PL would have lost its gloss and end up as a glorified SPL where a Club like Celtic winning the title every year for 9/10 years has no kudos whatsoever as well as no real revenues which currently reflects the current SPL.

What may well come about is the evolution of the CL into a real league with CL clubs in Division 1 , Europa League teams in Division 2 etc etc.

I don’t think that would be at the expense of the current domestic Leagues though although we might need to shed the League Cup and possibly amend the FA Cup marginally.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Pagan
            Participant

For me, what makes the domestic leagues in the UK so good is the atmosphere at the grounds, which is down to the easy access for away supporters, the countries are relatively small so travelling distance is relatively short.
              I no longer go to prem matches, but do go to other matches, and love a relatively cheap away day.
              I don’t really see the attraction in pricing more people out of watching footy, and the cost of following your chosen team home and away in a super league, which would have to be Europe wide, would curtail many from away trips and probably ruin the away day experience….Pagan

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Brian blue
              Participant

Mikus…some good pointers. I do think though that fans will never be consulted. In some ways even th FA, UEFA and Fifa are now driven by Commercial activity in football, that to me is the alarming thing. They have the power to change fixture list and venues. It is sad but the global league will appear , it has zero appeal to me and my days of watching football will decrease rapidly but I can enjoy the comfort of seeing real footballers through the decades I have been going. I also think match fixing will show its ugly face on the scale it is going
                I am going to enjoy the last couple of seasons before it happens though

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Chucky McChuckface
                Participant

I’m sure there are going to be tweaks to the current Big-Ears comp, creating both extra games (cash) and I wouldn’t be surprised to see a new seeding system based on what happened 20 years ago so certain clubs can continue to feather their nest as a result but the two key things that could completely kill both the idea and possibly football in general for those of us of a certain age would be:

1) No promotion or demotion of the “selected” few….

2) If the teams leave the domestic league…

Sure, the viewing figures (cash) will most likely be there, but that will be down to the overseas markets and not local markets. Hopefully the powers that be won’t be this greedy…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  nine nine nine

If and when it happens and it will happen imo it will be a midweek European league that just supercedes the current CL and it won’t imo be at the expense of domestic football which was the original argument used when the European Cup was first mooted.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Chucky McChuckface
                    Participant

I’m not saying your wrong goldie, but say they do swap it to a Euro-Super-Duper League instead of what it currently is… 10 teams, home and away, 18 games, roughly what the finalists play now, not much change to the current schedule, just more games during the existing knock-out rounds… all makes sense from a logistical sense… now the problem with it!!

As a neutral, I have no desire to see 7th play 10th in week 12 for example, it’s a dead rubber, have no interest in either team playing… or the other end of the table, one team is running away with it, it’s all over with 3 rounds to go… now you have 3 more rounds of utterly pointless football involving teams I have no interest in… and I would suspect neither would the fans of those teams, just meaningless friendlies…

The Golden Goose is dead, long live the goose…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      nine nine nine

Fans would get to see all of the teams though if it’s a League and you could say the same about the PL last season but not this.

Personally I thoroughly enjoyed Spurs v United on Sunday but realistically neither of them are competing for the PL.

More positives than negatives imo and I’m sure it will happen one day.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Chucky McChuckface
                        Participant

Fair point, but you’re picking two teams from a league you’ve been following for years, teams you know relatively well, teams that have recently played your own team to (I believe the score was 3-1.. πŸ™‚ ), and teams your own boys will be playing again in the not to distant future… plus all the implications for the race for the Top4, which all three teams are involved in.

Now imagine trying to watch, say Inter Milan vs Valencia in a dead rubber match that has no meaning on Chelsea’s season, no meaning to you as you don’t perhaps follow them as closely, and you won’t be playing at all so there’s not even a “see what their like” excuse… it’s just a team from Italy playing a team from Spain in a dead rubber match and basically a glorified friendly…

Sorry, cyber chum, but a bad example to use there I feel, nothing in comparison!

My own interest in the CL these days (when it isn’t Spuds) is normally restricted to the 2nd legs of games that are still relatively close from the first leg… and these are games that are ‘do or die’ with one team going home… sorry cyber chum, take away the ‘do or die’ element I won’t won’t be tuning in, full stop!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Anonymous

“If and when it happens and it will happen imo it will be a midweek European league that just supercedes the current CL and it won’t imo be at the expense of domestic football which was the original argument used when the European Cup was first mooted.”

With the extra money coming in, the teams involved could have much bigger squads both financially and also in terms of keeping players happy. 2 games a week all season is doable if you make changes to squad sizes and maybe a few other things. How much more money would super league money potentially bring in though and would it hurt the Pl to have these CL style matches gong on all the time too?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            Chucky McChuckface
                            Participant

Micky… as with many of 27’s points, all “doable”, but I still maintain the interest won’t be there. There simply isn’t the interest there for the neutral and will only saturate the market more. There isn’t a “history” between the clubs in a Euro League that there is in national leagues, the risk for far too many “dead-rubbers”.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              nine nine nine

Not every Super League game would be covered live by TV the best would though and there would be highlights programmes.

Everyone said there wouldn’t be a European Cup and the FA forbid Chelsea from competing in it but it came about was highly succesful and metamorphosed into the CL which is the most successful competition in football.

Ultimately imo the same will happen with the Super League we are only a hop skip and a jump away from it already.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Nike19
                                Participant

Found this as the most recent of reports – not to much an article, but from last November ala Sky Sports. This showing European League Associations opposing to it.

I know money talks, but I wonder before anything was agreed whether there would be some kind of a ‘people’s vote’

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11546102/association-of-european-leagues-vow-to-protect-domestic-football-and-oppose-super-league

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Nike19
                                  Participant

I’d go for maybe some form of a restructure with our current Premier League and the Championship instead of paying any attention to teams in Europe.

Maybe think of something that binds the 2 together. There are lots of different clubs from a number of different geographical areas and it would breed more closeness than the Premier League perceived to be on it’s own pedestal.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    nine nine nine

There’s a massive gulf in class between the PL and the Championship and I’ve watched a lot of live Championship games at Bristol City to know that but it’s confirmed by the fact that the majority of teams who are promoted from the Championship are relegated back to the Championship within 3/4 seasons some much sooner.

There is nothing wrong with the current PL and no restructuring is necessary imo if a European Super League develops out of the CL it will be at the expense of the CL and not at the expense of the PL and there is no desire from Club’s across all the European Leagues to leave their domestic Leagues.

If a European Super League eventually comes about and I think it will it will be a midweek League at the expense of the CL and be played alongside the domestic Leagues although Club’s competing in it will need bigger squads perhaps 30 players rather than 25.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Nike19
                                      Participant

Each to their own, but I prefer it if there wasn’t a Gulf. There’s less regard (at least that’s how it comes across) on Championship Clubs and there’s a snobbery element to it too so I hope the gap is bridged some time in the future.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Anonymous

I would be absolutely disgusted if they set in motion plans to bring the Pl and the Championship together. The PL is perfect as it is. The gulf in class could be dealt with but it 100% won’t be, because the solution is to share TV money. I think it needs to be left alone.

The only thing I would do is allow the Scottish teams into the English leagues. Celtic and Rangers could be PL sides but they are dying up there in that shite league. Give them a way in from say league One level and let the chips fall as they may. They would eventually become good Pl sides i think, adding to the quality of the league.

As for the Super League, ya it’s inevitable lads. I could do without the domestic cups but I wouldnt want the PL compromised. I would also regretfully say goodbye to the CL but if it were to be considered as a kind of follow on then maybe… MAYBE. Teams assured of a place in it though.. Im uneasy about this. I don;t want to be too like America.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Chucky McChuckface
                                          Participant

Never thought there was need for two Cups to be honest, I say allow Prem Teams to opt out the Micky Mouse cup…

Still kee the FA Cup though… do love a proper knock-out tie…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 54 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.