Home Community General Football How did you came about choosing your team?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Nike19
    Participant

Just lost a chunk of text being timed out and not logged in. It was insightful I felt, but not going to write it out all again;

This basically came on the back of watching Retro You Tube footage of past FA Cup Finals, at a time when I was just an innocent Boy growing up. Of course, no ingredient of being precious or any tribalism, just the fact that I may have been an Everton Supporter, I could have been a Manchester Untied Supporter, but somehow (I just cannot explain the path) I became Liverpool circa 1986 – re the Double Year.

I chose Liverpool, though and still and a fan of that certain Manchester United team circa 1985 that had fanatical individuals in Bryan Robson, Mark Hughes, Frank Stapleton and Norman Whiteside. My dear school friend back then in 1985 had that Manchester United Home shirt with the Badge in the middle – iconic childhood memories.

We ourselves had the Double Success back in 1986, but Charlie Nicholas at Wembley in 1987 re the Littlewoods Cup Final broke my heart. The League Cup Finals during that time used to be played closer to the FA Cup Final, and in April.

Wimbledon ala Laurie Sanchez as well as Michael Thomas brought on to me that it’s not all a one-sided affair of success, but the amount of enterprising charismatic talented footballing individuals we had never made me look back beyond 1986.

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      gjblues
      Participant

A longish story but one I’ll keep as brief as I can.
        My Dad used to be a professional footballer, who, in his later years played in the non-leagues for Altrincham and Chorley. At the time, I was about8 and my younger brother would have been 6. We used to go with Dad, accompanied by our Granddad, to watch him when playing at home but were not allowed to go to the away games.
        So when he was playing away, it was a choice between being dragged around Manchester city centre, shopping, with Mum, Gran and Auntie or going to Maine Road to watch City with our Uncle.
        Earliest memories are of Bell, Lee, Sumerbee, Young, Coleman, Wyn Davies, etal. Fantastic team. Colin Bell was always my favourite and Franny Lee was my brother’s.
        Used to get ‘treated’ to a hot dog on the way into the ground.
        Sadly, our Uncle passed away five years ago but I still say a quiet thanks to him every time I enter the ground. If it hadn’t been for him, we’d have probably ended up supporting United…………….heaven forbid.
        RIP Uncle Terry.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Nike19
        Participant

Genuinely appreciate the read GI, nice one mate.

On a light note: New Entry: Paul Ince at Main Road haha; make life difficult lol 😀 🙂 🙂

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.