Home Community General Football Happy 60th Diego!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Nike19
    Participant

This man deserves a Thread of his own for arguably the Greatest Player to have graced the Game.

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      srd79
      Participant

Congrats to the legend. A flawed legend, but that’s a part of the myth of him.

What he did at Napoli, a club that had never won the league before he came, at a time when Serie A was the best league in the world was the stuff of legends. It was also a time were attacking players didn’t have the same protection they do today. Which means that even elegant players like Diego Maradona had to be a bit of a hard man themselves.

He’s probably also the only guy to have basically won a World Cup on his own. No way the Argies had won without him in 1986.

Still I’m not going to call him the GOAT. I’m not saying that he isn’t either. It’s just that thing about comparing players from different eras.

I’d say Maradona was the greatest of the 80ties, Cruyff the seventies, Laudrup the nineties (he was that good and I’m biased as hell) , Zidane from 00-10 and Messi from 10-20.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Blaze
        Blocked

The greatest ever player but for his self inflicted demons could have been even greater still

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Blaze.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          maverick1973
          Participant

Still behind Fellaini,for me.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Mikus LFC
            Participant

I’ve always favoured Maradona to Messi in the debate because I think Maradona is a combination of the skill of Messi & the raw desire & build of Suarez in one.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              Anonymous

Not for me Pele first than Maradona with Messi a distant 3rd on par with Puskas and De Stefano, I seen all their clips and records many times over.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                maverick1973
                Participant

Pele for me,too.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  srd79
                  Participant

If I had to choose between Pele and Maradona, I would be tempted to pick DM. Pele May have won three WCs to DM’s one, but Pele was surrounded by world class players in the Brazil teams that won. Maradona was a one man army in a pretty average side. And in 1986 you had some very good sides in West Germany, France, Brazil, Denmark, The Soviet Union and Belgium. DM probably had a higher stock in Argentina’s triumph than Pele had in any of his team’s wins.
                    And DM went to Europe and turned everything around for a struggling team in a struggling city.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    srd79
                    Participant

But while we’re comparing, if you had to choose between:

1) Ferdinand vs Terry
                      2) Keane vs Vieira
                      3) Shearer vs Henry
                      3) Zola vs Bergkamp
                      4) Ginola vs Pires
                      5) A. Cole vs Pearce
                      6) Schmeichel vs Seaman
                      7) Gerrard vs Lampard (as players need to be on the same level, I chose these two, as Scholes is a class above both of them 😁)

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      Nike19
                      Participant

The Original Menu has expanded lol 😀 😛 🙂

Lol, I remember from the other place a certain someone posting that Pele was overrated 😀

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        maverick1973
                        Participant

Viking baconmuncher-I remember 1986,and your country had some classy players.i.e.Preben Elkjaer Larsen,Laudrup,J.Olsen,etc.And if Im not mistaken,you beat WG 2-0?.S.Piontek was a great manager,too.
                          Belgium,too,had some amazing players,in Scifo,Gerets,JMP,Cuelemans,Vercauteren,Vervoort,etc.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          srd79
                          Participant

Mav, yep, mate. We had a fantastic team back then. And we did beat WG 2-0. I do wonder in hindsight if the Germans were “planning” to lose, as they got Morocco in the first knockout round and we got Spain. We lost to Spain 1-5 in a crazy game. The only 1-5 game I ever saw that the losing team really should have won.
                            Jesper Olsen set up Spain’s first goal with an unprovoked bad pass that completely left our keeper hanging. It has become a term in Danish, “to do a Jesper Olsen”, which simply means to cock up something that really shouldn’t be able to go wrong 😂

But not to completely hijack Nil’s original thread, surely the game between Argentina and England mirrors Maradona’a career and personality: The cheating unethical “Hand of God” and “The goal of the century” which was just so brilliant.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            nine nine nine

Brilliant player, one of the best of all time very difficult to say who is the GOAT given there are so many different eras but Maradona would definitely be on the short list imo.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              maverick1973
                              Participant

9s-Fellaini & P.Jones,too!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.