Home Community General Football Ground changes – I don't like

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Nike19
    Participant

Maybe the concept of Old Trafford could be an exception and they could all more into an Cinema with only a Birdseye view of the players hahaha 🙂

Put the Banter to one side, I’m thinking for example Maine Road, Upton Park, and from my home town example of Filbert Street.

My whole argument of this aside what I’ve mentioned is purely down to Wembley Stadium.

That should simply be untouched unless of an FA Cup Final, The Charity Shield or an England game.

Nobody cares it seems or to even share a thoughts. The Twin Towers REALLY are or were the Earth Of England.

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Pagan
      Participant

NB, clubs spend £500m plus on a stadium to use it 20ish times a year, not really a good business model, why would you then spend that money and then limit its use to half a dozen times…..Pagan

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        nine nine nine

I know Old Trafford as it was and as it is now and it’s still a great Stadium when you’re on the inside.

Wembley still has to be paid for which is why it has to house the matches it does.

One of my favourite away grounds it still Villa Park.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Nike19
          Participant

Nine, I was fortunate to visit Villa Park mate, a long time ago 🙂

I’d personally love to visit Exeter, Elland Road, and Selhurst Park 🙂

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            nine nine nine

Nil, Selhurst Park isn’t a great ground but the atmosphere crested by the home fans is one of the best in the PL imo.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              Nike19
              Participant

Haha, true Nine. Wish Plough Lane was around mate, still 🙂

The whole point of all of this is that Wembley for one I dearly regret, why?

When you look at it now, it’s all closed off completely and a Goldfish bowl, compact.

The old was used many in the examples of great concerts. It was a Landmark of London, and my point was that I wouldn’t sincerely want Identity to be taken away. Arsenal and Highbury for me was the biggest of mistakes.

Cheers

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Nike19
                Participant

One caller on 606 today was spot on about West Ham. As a fan myself, I can’t stand neither David Gold nor Karen Brady.

There is something I believe unique about the Hammers as an identity and the East End part of London in which they represent.

This caller was 100% on the money when he mentioned how demolishing Upton Park simply ripped out the HEART.

I completely agree. These ‘executive’ decisions made by ‘Business’ people for one second do not have any of the supporters best interest at heart, none at all.

Supporters these days are referred to as ‘Customers’. It’s an INSULT by fabric to those especially part of a community who have devoted their lives.

Highbury Stadium, another example. Arsenal faithful closer to the goal than they could ever be at the Emirates. Another move in which I for one never liked at all as Highbury had a distinctive identity, as with effectively all grounds and surrounding amenities.

The silly thing about this all, as that these new stadiums even at the best of times I suspect are not even properly filled.

One West Ham fan expressed in having to pay £70 for a game. That’s just beyond comprehension.

But, there you go. This is the other side of what our top flight league represents – a money making machine.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  cm
                  Participant

Upton Park was one the most intimidating grounds to go to, same with Highbury and a few others. These new stadiums do not have the same feel to them. When Manchester United played Arsenal away at Highbury and West Ham away at Upton Park, they were 2 grounds that you knew you did well to come away with a draw, never mind a win. The whole atmosphere has changed at these new grounds. Arsenal have failed to challenge since their move to the Emirates and West Ham have gone downhill since moving to the Olympic, could be a coincidence.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    nine nine nine

Intimidating in more ways than one too. The New Den can be triggering too. Is the reason Arsenal haven’t challenged due to now playing at the Emirates rather than Highbury or a lack of investment?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      cm
                      Participant

Probably a combination of both 9. The repayment for the new stadium probably reduced the transfer budget too and that is why there was a lack of investment at first. Arsenal spent 85m the 1st 5 years after the Emirates was opened. 17m a season on average is quite poor, especially when you are replacing the likes of Campbell, Vieira, Henry, Bergkamp, Pires to name a few.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        nine nine nine

Shwi, that’s how it looks mate.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          Anonymous

with regards to west ham it should be noted that when they won the bid for the olympic stadium over spurs, their fans were dancing in the streets celebrating because they got it and spurs didnt. they wanted the new stadium. they thought they’d go on to bigger and better things and be in contention of the champions league places. i do not know one spurs fan that wasnt thrilled we didnt get it, for this exact reason. west ham fans had such a short sighted view of the situation and were happy to get a win over spurs and now they are reaping the consequences!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            Chucky McChuckface
                            Participant

I remember crying when we lost out… but my sides started hurting so much I stopped… it’s a pity Orient are in free-fall, would have been hilarious if they both ended up in the same division!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              Anonymous

they still might!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                Chucky McChuckface
                                Participant

Wet Spam couldn’t be that bad mate… could they? 🙂

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  nine nine nine

Medium to long term it is still probably the right move for WHU.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.