Home Community General Football Gerard Houllier – RIP

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Nike19
    Participant

Former Liverpool and Aston Villa Manager has sadly passed away at the Age of 73.

Very sad news for us Liverpool Supporters who guided us to a series of trophies back in the 2000-2001 season as well as winning the League Cup in 2003.

He always kept in contact with the club too. Rest In Peace GH

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Anonymous

Just awful news. He seemed like such a good guy and in his time at the club, he probably had to work with the poorest investment in the squad/lowest ambition than any of the others. Considering what he had to work with he did really well. That treble may not have been the almighty one but it was still incredible to me at the time, as I had just missed the glory days. 73 seems young to me but I know he had serious health issues.

I imagine that Carra and Gerrard will probably talk at length with the media sometime in the coming days/weeks/months, as they owe a lot of their development to him. I myself was very fond of Houllier, the guy was a class act.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Mikus LFC
        Participant

Very sad to hear. He turned the whole culture of the club around and 2001 with the treble cup win was a great highlight. Don’t think he was ever quite the same after his heart condition, but he still left the ingredients for Benitez to win the CL when he took over. Probably one of our most important managers of the last few decades. RIP Gerard.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          nine nine nine

Gerard Houllier always came across as a nice guy and was very successful at Liverpool in winning the Cup treble in 2001. Thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. RIP.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Brian blue
            Participant

Sad loss to the game R.i.P

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              threeps
              Participant

Edited out by myself. But 442 post is out of order.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by threeps.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Editor
                Keymaster

Agreed Threeps. Deleted it. Rip Gerard Houllier.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  gjblues
                  Participant

RIP Gerard Houlier and condolences to his family.
                    As Mak posted earlier, did unbelievable things while at Liverpool, taking into consideration what little investment he had to work with.
                    Always came across as one of the nice guys in football, sadly one of the last. I think the tributes paid today are testament to the type of person he was.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Hightown hope

Very sad about Gerard Houllier. As Mikus says above, he really was responsible for re-igniting Liverpool as a credible force in English football. That Treble season was one of the most fun seasons of going to Anfield, with so many memories still so clear 20 years later. I will never forget the Roma match, his first time back after his illness. His very presence gave the crowd an energy which transferred to the team. It was a perfect harmony between manager, crowd and players and the atmosphere was just wonderful. Gary Mac’s goal at Goodison, Owen’s goals in Cardiff to rob Arsenal of the FA Cup, and of course my first European final in Dortmund, a truly wonderful occasion in so many ways.

He was a gent who loved the city of Liverpool having lived there as a young man, and Liverpool fans loved him. He probably does not get the recognition that certainly 2 of his successors have got, but he put the building blocks in place for later successes. We even forgave him for buying Diouf, Diao and promising to us that Bruno Cheyrou was the new Zinedine Zidane!

RIP, Gerard…Hou let the Reds out!!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.