Home Community General Football FA Cup bores

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Hightown hope

7 of the 31 3rd round games played over the weekend finished as goalless draws, and a further 7 games finished 1-0. Overall, an average of barely 2 goals a game.

I know goals aren’t everything in a game of football, but by almost any measure, it was a drab weekend of football, enlivened only by Forest yesterday. Even Coventry beating Stoke wasn’t that much of a shock, and there were no non league teams in the third round. Very boring overall.

Any reasons why this was the case, or was it just a fluke?

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Nike19
      Participant

There were more upsets compounded on the back of Sunday’s results.

Fleetwood on Sat was a bit unusual and Leicester you’d think would edge through first time of asking.

Something of a ‘I smell a rat’ in the direction of bets.

Didn’t think Leeds would get knocked out by Newport and honestly didn’t think the Gunners would go out the way they did as Forest have been rubbish and recently have had a Managerial change.

VAR to be trialled tonight ala Brighton and Palace. I wonder what’s in store 🙂

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Hightown hope

Still a boring weekend

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Editor
          Keymaster

Surely just a fluke Hightown? The only other thing I can think is that it is linked to the declining interest from clubs in the FA Cup. Are the players taking it a bit easy so as to not miss important league games? Are the managers saving their best flair players for more important games, thus reducing creativity and therefore goals?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Nike19
            Participant

I was hugely pleased in spite of BT, the number of games covered live by the BBC – Newport County on BBC Wales and were fortunate to get ours live, Friday Night.

I do agree – needed a good portion of excitement from Saturday and as you quite rightly point out, the only real shock came from the Ricoh which saw the sword finally fall on Mark Hughes.

I still think the romance of the Cup is there – can’t wait for the draw tonight.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              paul powers tash
              Participant

I get were both of you (HH & NB are coming from.Sadly (imo) the FA Cup is not what it used to be.Mainly the amount of money in the Premier league.Since footy went off terestrial tv it’s pretty much been put on the back burner.

As a kid growing up the FA cup was magical.Even the final was on both BBC & ITV all day from like 0900am till after the game.For me it’s still the best cup comp in world football.As anyone can play anyone.

None of this seeded nonsense like the World Cup and European club comps.It tarnishes it for me.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Nike19
                Participant

This is what’s lost PPT.

I completely forgot about this:

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.