Home Community General Football Championship/Football Manager games

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Editor
    Keymaster

Who else played these games religiously growing up? I just joined a Facebook group for people who still play CM01/02 and it’s such a nostalgia trip seeing all the posts and images from player profiles etc. I played Champ Man right through from late 90s until it became Football Manager and then life got in the way as well as the fact the game got a bit too detailed IMO.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Editor.

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Chucky McChuckface
      Participant

I remember playing lots of Championship Manager around that time… I was back in Oz aorund then, and my boss was a big Toffee fan (I reckon you all might know who I was playing!)… sometimes we would play normal mode, sometimes Haaland FC mode, sometimes we would make up our own modes.. 🙂

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        threeps
        Participant

I started with CM Italia back when C4 were showing the games. Was some great Italian teams then. Then enjoyed the slightly more recent ones with legends like Tonton Zola Moukoko and Cherno Samba. But I felt the series made some mistakes which things like what you say to the media seemingly the most important influence on a game. And no matter what tactic I used the result was always the same, almost predetermined.

New one out in a couple of weeks, won’t be getting it. Might reinstall one of the old ones I have on Steam however, think 01 is the oldest.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Editor
          Keymaster

Yeah I don’t think I’ve played a Football Manager properly since around 08. Tried the mobile versions a couple of times but it’s just not the same, for me. Keep really wanting to download 01/02 but I know I’ll get no work done when I’m working from home 😁.

Moukoko was a legend. Was just reading a story today about how he now works on a hot dog stand from time to time in Sweden. His actual football career clearly didn’t live up to his virtual one. Mark Kerr, To Madeira, Maxim Tsigalko. Forget which version of the game it was but always bought a 14yr old Freddy Adu who was an absolute world beater by the time he was 18/19.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Editor
            Keymaster

Had to check out CM Italia. Never heard of that version. I was playing Premier Manager back in that day. Championship Manager really did take the whole Manager simulator to a whole new level.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              Luckydestiny
              Participant

Ed I played FM for first time in ages a few seasons back. Thought it was brilliant but spent way too much time on it so didn’t get it since as its too easy to waste time!

I think the team that make FM now used to be part of the team that made CM the best when it was the best. But they split from CM and started making FM which is why CM went downhill and FM is now miles clear as the best footie manager sim.

So much fun but like I said too addictive, always need to play that next game before turning it off and next thing you know its 2am!

Aberystwyth, Yeovil, Oostende and Glasgow rangers was my journey last time and was amazing. I planned to keep going until I got chelsea job but after 10 seasons with these 4 clubs I had to force myself to stop 😆

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Editor
                Keymaster

Yeah as soon as all the real players start retiring and you’re only left with computer generated players, I tended to lose interest and start a new save. So tempting to go back and try it but I know I’ll regret it 😁

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Brian blue
                  Participant

Ed….. more fun playing “push penny”. !!!!! Pitches a bit dodgy at times though!!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.