Home Community Non-Football Another subject for discussion

Tagged: 

• This topic has 19 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Brian blue
    Participant

CARS.
      What do you have?
      Which everyday car would you like (this eliminates Ferrari RR etc)
      Is electric the way to go?

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Brian blue
      Participant

car…Lexus RXh

What would Like VW Sun Beetle or Ford Cortina 1600e r.i.p

to day that would be Audi A8 or mercedes SL

Electric probably will happen but not the answer

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        threeps
        Participant

Current: 2016 Seat Leon ST, bought brand new. It’s a functional car. I do a lot of mileage these days so it’s ok with the fuel. Can’t get a diesel they are seen as the chariots of the devil himself over here in Germany and have zero resale value.

In the past I did the fast car thing, I had a E46 M3. That thing shifted but cost an arm and leg to run.

Will electric cars provide a solution? Hopefully, but not yet. They really need to sort out the infrastructure. I would love to get one but I park in a private spot in a multi user carpark with no charging facilities. I would need to charge every day but it would be impossible.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Chucky McChuckface
          Participant

Good old boring VW Passet Estate.. as for what would I like? List is fat too long to type… do like my motors!!!

AS for electirc cars, eventually, we’ll all end up with one whether we like it or not. But I don’t think they’ll be popular through choice until they get the re-charging thing sorted. That’s basically what puts me off getting one, and to be honest, I don’t drive that many miles on average, but do have the occasssional road trip… and stopping somehwere halfway for 6 hours just to re-charge the car… nope, not for me.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Brian blue
            Participant

The other thing about electric cars is they are not as efficient as claimed and we are being hoisted up on them….then….just watch Electric prices, insurance levels and Road tax ALL leap forward and we finish paying MORE than with our old cars. It is a “CON” trick for extracting more revenue

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              Chucky McChuckface
              Participant

Disagree with that BB, over here in Finland you save an absolute fortune if you go electric, TELSA’s and the like are practically tax-free.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                nine nine nine

I’m planning to change my car next year I will probably need to as Diesels will be banned in Bristol from 2022 which would prohibit me from going to and from the Hospital in Bristol.

I would go full electric but like Chucky I’m concerned about charging times on long journeys etc.

I will probably go for a Hybrid though.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Pagan
                  Participant

I’m quite lucky as I get a company car, currently a diesel Passat estate, great car as I can get all the footy practice kit in it and also 4 cricket bags and passengers if needed.

What would I like as a car, well for everyday use I’d have an RS6 estate

Last car I had was a hybrid, absolutely hated it, admittedly it was very economical round towns, but god awful when you were out of town, the lag when you put your foot down was awful and when you did it was like slipping the clutch on a 2stroke to keep it in the powerband ….Pagan

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Chucky McChuckface
                    Participant

I’m planning to change my car next year I will probably need to as Diesels will be banned in Bristol from 2022 which would prohibit me from going to and from the Hospital in Bristol.

I would go full electric but like Chucky I’m concerned about charging times on long journeys etc.

I will probably go for a Hybrid though.

I’ve heard the MaClaren P1 is pretty decent for a hybrid… 🙂

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      nine nine nine

Pagan,yeah I need to check out the hybrid situation we’ve had Nissan’s for years now started off with the first Qashqai very early in its life which was a bit weird when we were in Spain because you would often find people around it looking at it.

There’s a new Qashqai hybrid coming out in September and I’ll take a look at that one and there’s sufficient time to monitor whether there are any problems with it and we always go automatic.

I went off Piste with a Juke RS Nismo super fun car but seemingly too much technology in it 2 gear boxes etc and as much fun as it was to drive we had too many problems with it and went back to a Qashqai a couple of years ago and we’ll almost certainly stick with them.

Had some great company’s cars some nice Jags and BMW’s. My favourite car would be a Porsche but I couldn’t get in and out if it regularly now.?

All about comfort for me now.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        Anonymous

Motor tax for a electric in Ireland is 120 Euro and 170 Euro for a standard hybrid. Electric is cheaper to run also but I think the dealers here in Ireland are maybe beefing up the prices of the cars in order to eat into the money that people should be saving. I could be wrong and our duty just might be even more insane than I thought, I’m not really a car guy TBH, as I don’t have one.

As for electric cars and your electricity charges at home, I don’t think it’s allowed for CO2 emission based electricity to be funneled in to charge Tesla’s, so it shouldn’t be competing with your home supply. I think it must be renewable energy? At least that’s what someone told me, right or wrong (please correct if you know).

With most nations heavily investing in renewable energy, there should be no shortage of supply also, with that supply becoming cleaner and cleaner as we go.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          nine nine nine

Mak, current electric cars at least in the UK use normal house electricity from an outside charger. My Son and D in L both have them and home charge.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            Brian blue
                            Participant

Chuky…I am cynical because I believe we will get ripped off, we have no standardised charging system and already premiums are being charged for electrics and hybrids by Insurance companies I ca only see it getting worse. As to supply, we will not have enough capacity if all change and it will be impossible for many to charge overnight I do agree, the principle is good but the vultures see this as an opportunity

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              Brian blue
                              Participant

I never believed manufacturers mpg either. On my Hybrid it was supposed to give 48mpg or thereabouts..in the real world I get 34. If I had an electric and it stated a range of 300 miles I would calculate on 200

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                nine nine nine

Chucky, putting aside the limited availability of a P1 and the price I would never be able to get in and out of it.?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  Anonymous

Brian, fuel cars are the same these days, they are coming up with these numbers under extremely optimal conditions. My dads new car does something like 20 MPG and it is meant to be a fuel efficient diesel. It’s nonsense either way and has nothing to do with the switch to electricity. Insurance companies will always look to shaft you but when self-drive cars come in, it’ll be interesting to watch them squirm.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                    whoisbeni
                                    Participant

I have an AMG E63, which sits in station or airport car parks mostly – bit of a waste.

the car I travel most in is usually a Prius Uber!!

If I was buying a run around car if I was home more id get a Golf

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                      whoisbeni
                                      Participant

a colleague has an electric car, the Tesla – he loves it but I just can’t get excited by it

I love a petrol engine – I had an M3 before this one.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                        Brian blue
                                        Participant

Mak…WOW…20 mpg I can only guess it must be Range Rover. I have had big engine cars but none goths low as that…It is the hills in Ireland that does it!!!!!!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Anonymous

MPG on modern cars is the same or worse than my old rover ZT that passed away last year. Ive driven older that were as economical, mid 90’s Passat. Dream car would be Land Rover defender 2014 converted to veggie oil. Got to say, I do own a freelancer 2 and get 650 miles out of it on motorways, which is where I lived before corona locked down the borders. Dream car for long distnance. VW transporter… Had one in Urainn where the roads out of the capital are non existent and not a single problem and it had a huge range.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.