Home Community General Football 3pm blackout to be lifted?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Luckydestiny
    Participant

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Luckydestiny
      Participant

It’s about time imo,totally out dated

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Luckydestiny
        Participant

Hopefully the prem will follow suit, ultimately its not 1970 and clubs make much more money from broadcasting than tickets. Let’s face it, who would rather watch a game at home if they have the ability and opportunity to go to stadium? Don’t see many Sunday games half full because its on the telly do we.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Luckydestiny.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          Chucky McChuckface
          Participant

I agree, don’t think it will have much of an impact on attendances (except maybe in Jan/Feb when the weather is really bad!)… plus it will help combat all the “streaming” anyway…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Editor
            Keymaster

Isn’t the argument (for the PL not doing it) that it will impact the lower league clubs? I mean, obviously I’d rather watch my own team live than on TV, but if I was to, say, follow Cheltenham Town as my local club, is there a chance I’d rather stay at home and watch Liverpool – Man City if that was on at 3pm?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Mikus LFC
              Participant

Only thing is from the viewer perspective, you can imagine all the streaming companies queuing up to take a portion of the pie, so for fans to watch all the games, they’ll have to pay subscriptions to several more companies. Or buy more expensive match day passes just for one game. So you could imagine the underground streaming will continue.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Luckydestiny
                Participant

The piracy will certainly continue mikus, and the rate of it will be proportional to the cost of watching all the games one would want to watch.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Luckydestiny
                  Participant

Ed, if someone claims to be a Cheltenham fan but leave a seat empty to watch a prem game on TV, then that someone is clearly not a Cheltenham fan.

Now I know plenty are fickle so that’s not a rebuttal of the point you raise, but the fact that the UK is the only country I know with such a blackout suggests its much less of a problem than it was/is made out to be and we are the only ones who actually imagine there is a problem with broadcasting 3pm games.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Chucky McChuckface
                    Participant

Cheltenhm fan is a Cheltenham fan is a Cheltenham fan… with a game at 12:30 that finishes about 45 minutes before his 3 oclock kick-off, and a game at 5:30 which starts about 30 minutes after Cheltenham finish, I very much doubt having another game on telly at the same time is going to sway his mind one way or the other (unless it’s the middle of winter and pissing down, having 3 games at home on the telly, instead of 2, might make a difference!)

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      Editor
                      Keymaster

I’m not suggesting I’m against the idea, just trying to understand that point of view. Let’s be honest, in Chucky’s scenario above, if that Cheltenham fan misses the last 15 of the lunchtime game and the first 15 of the evening game, he’s not going to be that bothered. The point is, he doesn’t have to choose between watching his local side or watching a big PL game. It’s hard enough for these small sides as it is without needing to compete with PL TV audiences. Again, I’m not even sure I agree with what I wrote and whether I stand behind it. I’m merely trying to see it from the small club point of view.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Luckydestiny
                        Participant

The other thing Ed is the blockbuster prem games tend not to be on at 3pm on a Saturday, they are mostly moved to the broadcast slots anyway

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Chucky McChuckface
                          Participant

I was always under the impression the 3 oclock Div 2 watching footy fan is a bit more hardcore than us spoilt Premiership armchair fans anyway, πŸ™‚ , and would be very surprised if any of them suddenly converted to watching the pampered twats in the Premiership. I do genuinely think the impact would be minimal, barely noticable.

Anyway, this isn’t for Prem games, is it? Thought it was just Championship and lower?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            Luckydestiny
                            Participant

Yeah banjo just EFL but it wouldn’t surprise me if prem look at it when their next round of negotiations are due for broadcasting rights.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Nike19
                              Participant

Common man priced out once again, but I do on the other hand get why the EFL have gone down this route because it deserves more respect.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Chucky McChuckface
                                Participant

I wouldn’t be surprised to see every single Prem game shown at some stage, 1 on Friday, 4 Sat & Sun, 1 on Monday… and obviously more spread out during the week on non-Euro weeks… (if football/life ever gets back to something normal!)

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Luckydestiny
                                  Participant

I would be amazed if it didn’t happen within next few years babjo

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Nike19
                                    Participant

I just hope they don’t get too big for their boots like the PL and go all tunneled visioned into being swamped by the big buck from the Broadcasting network.

3pm is an engraved tradition and the experienced served to attend a ground at that point of time on a Saturday Afternoon, no money can buy. Glad I did it in my teens at my local ground when tickets were cheaper too.

Don’t give Salah 400k a week!!!!!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Luckydestiny
                                      Participant

Too big for their boots nil? Come on mate it’s 2022 and the lower league clubs are dying. Their ticket revenue will be miniscule and any deal they can get to increase revenue can only help.

No one is talking about cancelling 3pm kick offs it’s about allowing them to be broadcast.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Hightown hope

I think the argument is more for the floating football fan. An ardent Cheltenham fan (if there is such a thing) will continue to go and watch his team. But my situation, for example, is a case in point. If Liverpool are playing on a Sunday and with me living in Manchester, I will occasionally pop along to watch Salford City if they are at home. I have also been known to turn up at Crewe, Oldham and Rochdale. If there was a Prem game on TV, would I still go? I honestly don’t know. I would still go if it was just another EFL game certainly, but Prem, I don’t know.

I don’t have an issue with the 3pm blackout personally, and if it does have an adverse effect on lower league teams by lifting it, then I am strongly against it. Maybe it’s a bit different for me as I go to my team’s games anyway, but for those of you who live in Finland, South Africa and Germany, you get the 3pm anyway, don’t you?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Nike19
                                          Participant

Sorry Lucky mate. I’ve probably mis-interpreted the context of this thread entirely.

I’m also thinking of the Championship rather than further down the line re League 1 and 2. They seriously need cash injection so God Bless should that happen.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Nike19.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 79 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.